Aha before you conclude…..
Must say, I was totally sane while getting it done and more so did it out of pure joy!
Well, society does attach a few associations like beauty, success, femininity with the kind of hair a woman has and there are certainly negative associations too when a woman shaves her head; a disease, a traumatic experience, a mental breakdown.
But from my own personal experience, hair has nothing to do with who you are and I didn’t go through any traumatic disease or experience; in fact a shaven head gives you an opportunity to delve deep inside and meet the person that you truly are.
Let me take you through as to why I decided to shave my head.
10 reasons and perks of shaving my head:
- I wanted to experiment and see what it is to forgo my identity (since hair is the most integral part of one’s identity)
- I wanted to see if I had the guts to let go of this attachment
- Being on a spiritual path was turning out to be totally exhilarating and I wanted to mark this by shaving my head and trust me it was so so liberating
- As I had missed to observe my hair growth while growing up, I wanted to see myself through all the stages; having a shaved head, having a buzzed head, having short hair, spiky hair and so forth 😉
- I wanted to completely detach myself from the looks of who I was. This has certainly made me a new person with new perspectives
- I wanted to feel vulnerable, go within myself and seek what truly matters because the external seemed mundane and unfulfilling
- Shaving my head felt like lifting a huge burden off me from all the conditioning accumulated over the years and it felt as though I was a completely new me starting anew
- I have saved considerable amount of time, energy and money in maintaining my hair since I shaved. Well that’s one hell of a perk
- The fact that I could feel and enjoy the short spiky, velvety hair was uber cool and to feel the wind, sun on my head is quite something when you have short hair (you ought to try it out if you really want to know what I am talking about ladies)
- Lastly, the process of getting it done was overwhelming yet rewarding and I love the way it turned out.
It has been close to 9 months since I got my head shaved and I have had some mixed responses but it doesn’t seem to bother me because I truly feel beautiful and empowered within!
Hair certainly doesn’t define me!
Well, have you ever wanted to shave your head? Or how was your experience of shaving your head?
Would love to hear your story and if you are thinking of having a shaved head, go ahead!